John Jock Wilson
Wilson was apprenticed at age thirteen to a decorator named John Norrie in Edinburgh and then received instruction in landscape painting from Alexander Nasmyth. For about two years Wilson lived in Montrose, where he painted landscapes and taught drawing. In 1798 he moved to London, where he painted scenery for Astley's Amphitheatre and one or two other theatres. In 1807-1809 he exhibited at the Royal Academy. He won a premium of £100 from the British Institution for a depiction of the 'Battle of Trafalgar', which was subsequently purchased by Lord Northwick. Wilson was one of the founders of the Society of British Artists and its president for the year 1827. In 1827 he was also elected an honorary member of the Scottish Academy.